Monday, December 13, 2010

Final Project Images Critique

Image 1:
Amount of subject to show in frame:  For this image, I only chose to show a small portion of the face. I did this because I did not want the image to be about the face, but rather the hands on the face.  I like the composition of it and I think it really shows the emotion of despair, or at least sadness.

Background elements:  Although this seems minimal, there was a light in the background of the subject.  I chose to include the light because I wanted there to be a sort of "light at the end of the tunnel" so that although she is in a dark place, there is hope.  I hope it doesn't look distracting but I don't think it does.  I also blacked out a lot of the background.

Lighting:  Lighting is important in all of my images but in this image specifically it brings out the hands and the shadows created on the hands which furthermore show a dark emotion

Aboutness/motivation/context:  This image was meant to display despair.  I wanted the contrast and lighting to bring out the shadows.

Image 2:
Focus:  I took a lot of pictures of this position, and I almost chose a blurrier version.  In the end though, I am glad I chose this very detailed composition.  I think it is necessary because the image is a little hard to identify now, and if the legs are blurry, it's even harder to see.  Though having abstract photos is a cool idea, it's not necessarily what I am going for.

Contrast:  I really bumped up the contrast on this photo.  I also blackened (nearly completely, though if you look close you can see her shirt) the background.  The contrast makes a very nice effect on the hands and the arms almost look like they are from different people.

Framing: I really wanted this image to be about the arms and specifically the hands.  I was trying to show a sense of tension, like when you are waiting to do something and it is taking a long time.  The strain in the hands portrays this and I cropped out the top of the shirt because it was too distracting.

Aboutness/motivation/context:   This image was meant to be a tense moment experienced and how the hands were to interact with the body to express the emotion.  The hands are very wide and not bent which i think shows this well.

Image 3:
Cropping: Cropping is important in this image because there was more of her at first.  I chose to crop some off the bottom because again, I wanted the image to be about the hand and not about the girl's face.  I did want to show that it was a face, and I like the strange and unique angle of the way her head is tilted back.

Distracting elements:  I chose to keep in the light at the back of the image.  I don't know if everyone would find it distracting, but now that I am seeing it maybe it is.  I blacked out a lot of the background and I intentionally kept that light though now I don't know how I feel about it.

Orientation:  Orientation was important in this image, in particular because of the strange angle of the tilt of the head.  I think having the image portrait makes it more about the hand and it gives that feeling of struggling, almost choking.

Aboutness/motivation/context: This image was supposed to be about struggle.  You don't know whose hand this is whether it is the subjects or someone else's.  This gives an eerie feel to the picture overall.

Image 4:
Sharpness/Blur:  The pointer finger is blurry, and then the third finger is most in focus.  I had a bunch of images like this with different parts in focus, but for some reason I liked this most.  I did bump up the sharpness a bit, but I really like how the focus is on the three fingers furthest from the viewer.  This makes for an interesting feel.

Visual Elements:  I like the shapes created in the bottom of this image.  It was her legs that were tucked under her.  When I bumped the contrast though, I got those interesting cool shapes in the bottom.  I am really happy with them!  They are blurry but kind of bring the attention to the fingers and it makes the viewer wonder what is going on below.

Photographers proximity to subject: I was standing above her, and the camera was fully zoomed in.  I focused on the pointer finger and then accidentally moved the camera.  It was an accident but I like it.  My angle is nice and I like how close I was because you really can see detail.

Aboutness/motivation/context: This image was meant to show someone waiting.  The shadows and contrast were meant to show the fingers sort of ticking on the body.  The angle was meant to be unsual.


Image 5:
Lighting:  Lighting is very important in this image.  It makes the hand almost look old and wrinkled though it was not.  Also, it is important because of how lit up the left side of the subject is which I really like.  The hand underneath almost gets hidden and I like that feel.

Contrast:  I bumped the contrast in this image a lot.  I really wanted the viewer to see that the subject was actually kind of clenching her skin.  I don't know if this really comes across, but once you know you can tell by the shadows created.  The contrast helps to emphasize these shadows.

Focus:  The subject is completely in focus, even her shirt is.  I really like this because you can see the detail in her hand, and you know where her hand is placed with minimal information due to the cropping.

Aboutness/motivation/context: This image was meant to show a kind of sadness but the hands are clenching the body so it's almost like a helpless feeling.

Image 6:
Lighting and sharpness/blur:  This image is my favorite!! For some strange reason I feel like the hands remind me of birds and are kind of spiritual.  The hands were actually holding onto her ankles and she was wearing black pants, but with the shutter speed I chose, the pants blended int the background.  I like how you don't know what she is holding and I think the lighting is so interesting because her left hand is in focus and bright and right is blurrier and out of focus.  

Cropping:  I did not crop anything out of this image.  I thought about leaving less of a frame around the hands.  I am happy at the amount I chose though because it is confusing to look at and the hands take on a shape of their own in the dark deep black background

Aboutness/motivation/context: I am not exactly sure what I wanted to show in this picture.  The overall figure before I cropped showed an insecure feel but I don't think this does anymore though I like the shapes the hands take.

Image 7:
Contrast: I actually think I increased the contrast too much in this picture.  Although it is important to the images (and all of the images), detail was lost in the hand.  I do however like how dark the right side of the image is in comparison to the left, because you can't tell what is being held.

Orientation:  I chose to orient this picture landscape.  To be honest, I don't know why exactly but I am glad that I did because it is harder to tell what the elbow is.

Amount of subject in frame:  I chose to only include this much to give a sort of ambiguous feel to the picture.  Not often do you see this angle portrayed and I think it is interesting especially because you can see detail on the arm. 

Aboutness/motivation/context: This image was meant to be relaxed.  I think that the amount of the subject I showed though kind of distracts from this meaning because the arm was resting but it does not look like it is.

Image 8:
Distracting elements:  Now that I am looking at this image, I think that the carpet is a bit distracting.  I don't know exactly if it is or not but it had a big pattern on it and you are unable to see the pattern in the rest of them so I think I should have either shown it more in other images or not in this one at all.

Perspective and point of view:  I shot this image from on the ground looking up.  I think this gives the overall image a weird abstraction.  To be it kind of could look like mountains from a different angle.  Also, you rarely see the hands in this position so I like how that turned out.  I like that you are looking up not down.

Visual design elements:  This image has a lot of vertical elements.  Though they are not perfect, the shadows make the image seem very long up and down.  The lines on the hand also draw you towards it.

Aboutness/motivation/context: This image was also meant to be a relaxing pose.  I was more trying to find an interesting angle, an unusual one that you usually do not see.


Image 9:
Focus:  I chose to have this entire image in focus.  I really wanted the hair especially to be in focus and the hands less, though in the end everything is in focus.  The image can actually make sense from whatever angle you choose to present it in.

Orientation:  This image's orientation is landscape.  I like that because you are able to see more of where the hands are coming from and less of the hair which is nice because then you see less of the head so you don't exactly know where the hair is coming from.

Contrast:  I increased the contrast in this image and also the sharpness.  I like the high contrast but I wish it were a bit lower to be honest because you lose some detail in the left hand, in particular in the printed image.

Aboutness/motivation/context: This image was just someone trying to do their hair but I think it turned into something more complex.  It almost has a sense of confusion or of being lost.  After thinking about hands, I noticed I tended to touch my hair at times when I was bored or uncomfortable so I was thinking about that while taking this image.


Image 10:
Focus:  This image was really really dark when I took it.  When I increased the exposure, I realized that it was very out of focus.  I ended up really liking the image however because of that quality.  The image kind of looks old and the hands look really creepy.

Framing: I cropped a bit of the top out of the image because I wanted the image to be about the hand and the back and not about the form of the whole body as much.

Background elements:  I darkened the background, and now that I am looking at it, I wish that I had not darkened it as much.  The back kind of blends into the background which is disappointing.

Aboutness/motivation/context: This image was meant to be just a natural position.  The image was actually candid and the subject was stretching and I captured it.  I really like how the hands are casually placed.


Image 11: I liked this image but the hands were a little out of focus.



1 comment: