Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Blog Entry #25

Write a detailed description of your “motivations” for your final self-proposed project. Why are you interested in this subject? What do you want to convey? How do you want viewers to respond? Why are you inspired to make these images/this project? Do you want to evoke emotions in viewers? Shock viewers? Make them laugh? Make them think? Inform them? Reveal something about how you see the world? Reveal something about yourself, a person, a place, a feeling, a memory, a moment in time?


After a lot of time of not knowing what to do, the idea sort of came up by accident.  I was going to do a series of functions of hands.  Sarah and I realized that it was too generic and the idea did not say anything about myself.  I was uninspired while taking the pics.  In the end of my series though, when I was really frustrated, I just told my model to place her hands on her arm and legs etc.  In the end the frustrated results turned out to be interesting.  This made me think of the idea of using hands on the body to represent emotion.  


Hands can say so much about what a person is feeling, whether it be stressed, nervous, tired, or happy.  Once I got going with my final shoot, it was so easy.  I loved doing it and thought of so many interesting ideas. I have always liked intense lighting from one side in order to have high contrast and to give a mysterious look to the pictures. All that I used was a desk lamp and just angled it several ways.  I edited them a bit by increasing the contrast even more and at times darkening parts of the distracting background. 


I want these images to work well as a series, but also individually.  A few of the images have abstract qualities, and if you were to flip them in a different way, can look like completely different things.  I want the emotions people feel upon viewing them to be up to them.  When I was taking the pictures, I was thinking of certain emotions, but not everyone does the same things with their hands when they are feeling a certain way.  The hands interactions with the body and the angels I chose to shoot at, along with the light, all make very high contrast very ambiguous pictures.  I have always been interested in hands, the shapes, the shapes they can make, the expressiveness, the way they can tell ones age, the way they move.  I really tried to explore these concepts in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment